Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Peace

New York City seems more than miles away from our home in Arkansas.


As I sit on the front porch surrounded by oak trees and silence, I could easily forget that civilization exists beyond our five rural acres. The solitude lends itself to reflection, particularly with Christmas only  days away.

I turn to selected lines from one of my favorite poems, "Dawn Psalm,"*  by Thomas Merton.


When no one listens
To the quiet trees

When no one notices
The sun in the pool

Where no one feels
The first drop of rain
Or sees the last star

Or hails the first morning
Of a giant world
Where peace begins
And rages end:

One bird sits still
Watching the work of God:
One turning leaf,
Two falling blossoms,
Ten circles upon the pond.

One cloud upon the hillside,
Two shadows in the valley
And the light strikes home.

*(Book of Hours by Thomas Merton, pages 93-94.)


Cardinal on our window ledge 

Peace.
In the silence of Nature, we will find it.
May we take time this holiday season -- to listen.

Happy Holidays!
I will resume my blog from NYC the first week of January.

Twylla






  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics