Monday, November 17, 2014

Connecting Around the Labyrinth

When I ask people if they have walked a labyrinth or know what one is, most usually think I'm talking about a maze. Like the one that Harry Potter fought his way out of in "The Goblet of Fire," or the cornfield variety whose puzzling twists and deadends have caused more than one lost walker to call 911. I explain, as someone did for me as a labyrinth novice, that a labyrinth is trustworthy - not deceitful. It is one path, the same path, that leads the walker to the center and back out. With the path certain, the walker can free his/her mind to meditate, ponder, question, notice.

Imagine my excitement this weekend as I rubbed elbows with over 100 people whose every other word seemed to be labyrinth!

Opening ceremony of the 16th Annual Gathering of The Labyrinth Society at
the Duncan Center in Del Ray, Florida

Not only were they talking about labyrinths but making them, from the contemplative to whimsical!

Peace Labyrinth
(designed by Lisa Moriarty; painted by Steve Selpal)





Pinecone Labyrinth
(created by Tony Christie and Ole Jensen)

















Flower Labyrinth
(created by Tom Vetter)















Flamingo Labyrinth, of course!
It's Florida.
(created by Lars Howlett)






























Connection was my intention for my first labyrinth Gathering.
Connection with others for whom the labyrinth holds unique significance, personally and within community.
Deeper connection to self on my continuing path of discovery.
RE-connection was an added bonus!

Catherine walking her backyard labyrinth during my
visit - April 19, 2013




Catherine Anderson, whose labyrinth in Charlotte, North Carolina was the 18th I visited on my 50-state labyrinth journey, was a fellow participant! The chances that I would select her labyrinth to visit in North Carolina, then meet her again one and a half years later in Florida, speaks to the connecting power of the labyrinth.

Sharing a peace labyrinth at the Gathering
(designed by Lisa Moriarty)














The challenge after any conference or retreat which transports you from the "ordinary" into a realm of possibility and inspiration, is to somehow fit your experiences into the rhythm of daily life. A quote by one of the presenters, Gary Boelhower, gives me a direction…

"The actualization of a journey is in the revisiting." 

As I unpack my suitcase this morning, I move forward with the next step -- Reflection.

4 comments:

  1. Reflection, indeed is where I am at right now. This was my first experience with The Labyrinth Society. My Peace Labyrinth was the 36 feet square, painted canvas, with the picasso-like white dove in the center and the script for "peace" written in Arabic, Japanese, Hebrew and English in the four corners. I am thrilled that people liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a close-up to share because it was so beautiful and meaningful! Thank you for the description and insight into the artist's creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. As we get ready for the holidays it is wise to recall the peace of a labyrinth journey/s

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics