Sunday, March 11, 2012

Haikus Harken Spring in Central Park

When we lived in Moscow, I began each season by writing haikus about Pokrovskoye-Streshnevo Park, across the street from our apartment building. "Haikus Written in Russia, But Not in Russian," I called them, since my Russian vocabulary, regrettably, never exceeded twenty words.  It seems only fitting that I carry on that tradition, beginning with spring, as it blooms its way across NYC.  

With the promise of an entire sunny afternoon in the forecast, I headed to Central Park with pen, paper, camera, and peanut butter and jelly sandwich securely in my tote bag. Entering the park on 5th Avenue, about a block down from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I began my search for Spring. I found her still waking up, still mixed in with remnants of winter, but catching up fast.

Enjoy the scenes and reflections, in lines of 5-7-5 syllables, a puzzle of words.

      perfect bouquet on
the edge of winter brownness
harbinger of spring

freedom, finally,
from slumber's boring stillness
exhilarating!

inundated by
budding anticipation
no personal space

first on the runway
awash in layered splendor
"Petaled Petticoat"


mighty
s
k
y
s
c
r
a
p
e
r
overshadowed by Nature's
quiet beginnings

(I have started writing a monthly feature article for Downtown Magazine's online edition.  Online and in its quarterly print versions, the magazine highlights events pertaining to Lower Manhattan, where Drew and I live.  My articles center on historical stories from the earliest part of the City. Here are links to my first two articles, written for Black History Month and Women's History Month, and inspired by women who influenced history just steps from my front door!)

Elizabeth Jennings Graham - Lower Manhattan's Rosa Parks


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics